How to Join
Members of an ISAC Member Society are eligible to join any of our Working Groups. If you are a member and would like to join this group, please contact Fee Johnstone, ISAC Executive Assistant at email@example.com.
Aims and Objectives
Bloodstream infections (BSIs) are a leading cause of death. They may complicate localised infections and often lead to severe sepsis with fatal outcome. It is roughly estimated that BSIs are the third cause of mortality in the United States and in Western Europe. Endocarditis is the most common cause of BSI by Gram-positive cocci. The striking epidemiology imposes clear-cut questions for the WG to deal with:
- How is epidemiology of BSIs changing and what are the drivers for change?
- How can evolving molecular techniques help in early diagnosis and management?
- What is the place of new antimicrobial agents in current management?
- How can BSIs give rise to severe sepsis?
The aims of the Working Group are as follows:
- Provide education in the fields of epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and management of BSIs through conferences and conference proceedings.
- Coordinate research in the field.
The ISAC Working Group on Endocarditis and Bloodstream Infections has recently sponsored a research grant supporting scientific research projects in the field of antimicrobial chemotherapy of endocarditis and bloodstream infections. For more information please click HERE.