Aims and Objectives
While ISAC has many sections/working groups (WG) on healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and antimicrobial resistance/stewardship it was lacking a WG on Infection Prevention and Control (ICP). Due to the emergence of MDR-m.o.’s and an ever-increasing incidence of old and new infectious diseases, control and prevention of HAIs has become of utmost importance.
The new IPC Working Group is aimed at international cooperation with regards to education, research and practical guidelines in the broad field of infection control and prevention in healthcare settings (primarily hospitals and nursing homes).
All those interested in infection control and prevention are welcome to join the group. To ensure new ideas and future continuity, we especially welcome “younger colleagues/future leaders". The general ISAC guidelines are applicable.
Future / Ongoing Activities
• In the process of conducting an expert meeting on 'Technology Support of Hand Hygiene" as an ISAC-WG meeting together with the WHO-reference Center of Geneva University Hospital
• Publication of the above-mentioned workshop
• Working Group meeting at ECCMID
• Possible survey on the prevention of blood-borne disease in LMIC (lead by Rehab Elsokkary together with ICAN)
• Development of a study on environmental cleaning (lead by Marjolein Kluytmans)
• Looking into new leadership for the group
• Planning a last training course (ESCMID/SHEA/ISAC) with the old faculty
• There should be an EUCIC/SHEA/ISAC training course in Thailand by the new/young faculty (TBC)